Pan Africa Graduate Development Programme
Graduating is exciting, but it can also be a bit daunting. You are leaving the world you know behind and are embarking on a journey into an unsure future. One that you may not have even started planning for – but are heading for regardless!
Designed to produce the next generation of future leaders, the Pan Africa Graduate Development Programme (PAGDP) is a 12-18 month programme. Its robust structure aims to challenge and push you to perform beyond your ultimate best .Through this programme you will start and follow a successful career. We’ll have you shaking the hand of a global power. We’ll have you challenging the minds of our great leaders. To achieve this, you’ll need to meet challenges with a smile.
Ask yourself the question, will it be you?
With your development at the heart of the programme, we offer you training opportunities to accelerate your personal development. Join our business and be part of a transforming organisation and help us shape the future of banking.
Therefore through this programme graduates in Africa have the opportunity to become part of this global organisation.
Barclays is a major global financial services provider engaged in personal banking, credit cards, corporate and investment banking and wealth and investment management with an extensive international presence in Europe, the Americas, Africa and Asia.
The Pan Africa Graduate Development Programme also offers a number of specialist career paths for which you may qualify:
Applications for the 2014 Pan Africa Graduate Development Programme have closed. Please keep in touch with us via Facebook for updates on future graduate opportunities.
Keep the following basics in mind:
- You need to be in possession of a postgraduate qualification (minimum NQF level 8) that should be completed before January 2014
- Work experience is not a requirement
- You need to have good grades in your final year of study (C+ average as a minimum)
- We offer a variety of career paths and hire people from a diverse range of backgrounds – so don’t think you can only apply if you are planning on going into Finance as an accountant or financial adviser
- It is important that you have a look at the various career paths that are on offer and select the most suitable according to you interests
We look for post-graduate students from various disciplines to join one of the following business units where you will receive on-the-job training relating to your field of study:
- Absa Retail and Business Banking
- Corporate Investment Banking and Wealth (CIBW)
- Financial Management
- Group Risk
- Human Resources
- Financial Crimes
- Barclays Africa
- Enterprise Services
- Knowledge of the Absa business in South Africa and the Barclays environment globally
- Product knowledge within specific business units and local as well as global markets
- Systems and technical job-related skills
- Leadership and self-management skills
- Customer centricity and related behavioural skills
- Individual development
We support the career development of our people. We strive to build a compelling and relevant talent-management proposition to afford employees a richer everyday job experience. The Group offers employee mentorship and coaching programmes, run by senior leaders who are committed to people development and helping employees reach their full potential.
Due to our sheer size and scope of business, Absa is an organisation with a multitude of divisions and niche business units. We provide for a wide range of career choices, including (inter alia) banking, finance, financial management, internal audit, risk management, insurance, investment services, AgriBusiness, financial engineering, actuarial services, legal services, industrial engineering, strategy and planning, HR, IT, digital channels, logistics management, marketing, sales, communications and PR.
Aligned to our multitude of business units; we employ graduates from various disciplines including; commerce and management, law, HR, risk management, industrial engineering, IT, actuarial science, financial engineering and applied sciences. There are internal development opportunities available to all staff to support skills development and internal mobility locally, across our African operations as well as on the global platform.
- Postgraduate qualification (minimum NQF level 8) in any of the disciplines that we recruit from; to be obtained before January 2014
- Less than twenty four (24) months permanent work experience (this excludes temporary work during full-time studies)
- We recruit into Absa in South Africa and across African countries in which Barclays has a footprint. We therefore consider applications from non-South African citizens. In such instances, it is the individuals’ responsibility to obtain the necessary documentation required to attain your work permit
- Overall C+ Academic average across all years of study
- Actively involved in leadership and entrepreneurial initiatives
What’s in it for me?
- Supporting you in your professional journey through mentorship and coaching
- Realising your professional career aspirations under one roof
- Offering you opportunities to accelerate your personal development
- The opportunity is in the challenge; the work is guaranteed to be interesting, challenging and meaningful
- You will work alongside talented people
- You will join us in caring for our environment and the communities that we operate in